How to choose the best Inverter? – Buying Factors
Do you wonder about how to choose your best kind of Inverter? You are at the exact place, where your clarifications get to be cleared off.
Yeah, it is too obvious that, if you want to find the Best inverter for your home/office electrical appliances, you need to make some calculations accordingly. Here, we will you through the calculations for your reference.
Table of Contents
- → Choose the load requirement for Inverter power backup
- → The total power requirement of your load for inverter
- → Which is better – Sine wave or a Square wave?
- → Capacity and No. of the batteries for chosen inverter
- → Determine the VA Inverter rating for your load
- → Which Type of Battery is suitable?
- → Features of Flat Plate Battery
- → Features of Tubular Battery
- → Features of SMF Battery
Choose the load requirement for Inverter power backup
Selecting of load varies from one to another. So, we have given the commonly used electrical appliances to which you to get the backup power supply.
Following is the table, with the list of electrical appliances with their power consumption capacity approximated. These are the devices get disturbed when there is a sudden break out in the main power supply.
|Fans / Cooler / Air Conditioners||Approx. Power Consumption (Wattage, W)||Lights & Motor Pumps||Approx. Power Consumption (Wattage, W)|
|Ceiling Fan||70 – 80 W||Tubelight||20 – 50 W|
|Table Fan||45 – 55 W||CFL||15 – 30 W|
|Air Cooler||200 – 250 W||LED Bulb||5 – 9 W|
|AC (1 – 2 Ton)||1250 – 2500 W||Incandescent light||40 – 120 W|
|Inverter AC (1 – 2 Ton)||1000 – 2100 W||Motor Pumps (0.5 HP to 1 HP)||500 – 900 W|
|TV & Music Systems||Approx. Power Consumption (Wattage, W)||PC & other office appliances||Approx. Power Consumption (Wattage, W)|
|LED/LCD TV||70 – 200 W||Desktop Computer||150 – 200 W|
|Plasma TV||220 – 270 W||Laptop||100 W|
|CRT TV||110 W||Laser Printer||200 W|
|Set Top Box||50 W||Office Printer / Scanner||2000 W|
|Music Player||320 W||Xerox Machine||2000 W|
|Gaming Console Blu Ray Player||210 W||Surveillance System||100 W|
|Kitchen Appliances||Approx. Power Consumption (Wattage, W)||Home Appliances||Approx. Power Consumption (Wattage, W)|
|Mixer Grinder with juicer||1000 W||Washing Machine||1200 W|
|Refrigerator (200 L – 500 L)||200 – 500 W||Vacuum Cleaner||1500 W|
|Microwave Oven||1500 W||Water Heater / Geyser||2300 W|
|Toaster||900 W||Room Heater||2250 W|
|Appliances||Quantity (No.)||Power Consumption (1 No.)|
|Ceiling Fan||3 Nos.||70 W|
|Tube Light||3 Nos.||20 W|
|LED Bulb||5 Nos.||5 W|
|LED TV||1 No.||70 W|
|Fridge (200L)||1 No.||200 W|
Determine the total power requirement of your load for inverter
Total Power Consumption = Summation of (no. of loads*power consumption per load)
= (3*70) + (3*20) + (5*5) + (1*70) + (1*200)
= 210 + 60 + 25 + 70 + 200
Total Power Consumption (W) = 565 W
Determine the VA Inverter rating for your load
Only when you get to know the power rating in terms of the inverter, you can able to select the inverter with respect to the capacity.
Otherwise, there will be an incredible power loss or power lagging, if the inverter capacity doesn’t meet the required load power.
VA Rating of Inverter = Total Power consumed by your loads/Power Factor
(Power Factor varies from 0.65 to 0.8) (We shall take it as 0.7)
= 565/0.7 (VA)
VA rating of inverter = 807 VA
Approx. VA rating ≈ 900 VA
To calculate the wattage (W), W = VA * power factor (keeping 0.8 as power factor)
= 720 W
Which is better – Sine wave or a Square wave?
– The output waveform that is created from the inverter is more considerable, which correlates with the appliances.
– Usually, the sensitive loads of home appliances generate a waveform which is a sine wave format.
– The sine wave format make the loads work efficiently without any disturbance.
– The sine wave format of inverter will be the best one that is suitable for your applications.
– When, it comes to the point of heavy loads like motors, then, the square wave inverter will be the most suitable for your appliances.
Determine the capacity and No. of the batteries for the chosen inverter
It is actually determined using the period of time you want to have the power backup for your loads. Let us discuss with some calculations in two cases. For better understanding,
let’s have two different calculations for different backup times (for 2 hrs. & for 4 hrs.).
|If you require backup of a battery||For 2 hrs. backup||For 4 hrs. backup|
|Battery Capacity (Ah)||(Power VA rating of Inverter * Backup hrs.) / Battery Voltage (V)|
|i.e. for Lead Acid Battery, Voltage (V) = 12 V|
|Battery Capacity Ah)||134 Ah||269 Ah|
|Approx. Battery Capacity Ah)||150 Ah||280 Ah|
|Approximation is 5 – 10 % more than the capacity|
|No. of Battery||150 Ah / 12 V = 1 No.||150 Ah / 12 V = 2 Nos.|
“If you wish to know the backup time for your inverter battery set, then you can proceed with the below format”
Which Type of Battery is suitable?
There are three types of batteries available and are applicable according to their own specification and applications.
Features of Flat Plate Battery
– The life time of battery is low and it needs frequent water refilling. It is not suitable for heavy loads.
Features of Tubular Battery
– It reduces the water loss and hence, doesn’t require frequent water toppings.
– The life time of the battery is expected for more number of years. Quick charging is available.
– It is suitable for sensitive loads to heavy loads. The cost is high in terms of tubular battery.
Features of SMF Battery
– It is the best suitable for the 2-wheeler (bikes) / cars / etc., It is sealed and packed from the factory itself.
– Hence, it is spill proof and it is the best suitable for bikes.
– It comes with the rechargeable options, once in 3 months. But it is not suitable for home appliances.